Thursday, January 19, 2012

Good evening and welcome to Brian's fitness blog.  This is a project I started 2 years ago, but it never really got off the ground for one reason or another.  At any rate here we are in 2012 and thus I decided it was time to shake the dust off the blog and get it going.  So, that being said here we are at day one, posting number one of this blog.  Yes, I am a 40 plus amateur athlete (48 since January 8th) and still doing my best to keep active and fit.  It is extremely difficult because at 46 I decided to go back to school to study nursing.  Needless to say, that has taken the majority of my time for the past 2 years and I have not had time to train much less blog.  I am still in school, but will be finishing in August of this year and at long last I will get to renew my friendship with my bike and the pool!  Thankfully, my running shoes still know my name and they and I get to spend some time together at least a few times a week.  Today was my first run this week unfortunately.  It was such a beautiful day, I felt the pull and the urge to get out and run a few so I logged a 5 mile trail run.  Not my best run ever, but it was just good to get out.  I love to run.  It is my release and my means of strength.  If I am having a terrible day, all I have to do is put on my shoes and go.  I have been running for probably 20 years now and yes, I was drawn into the Triathlon world probably 6 years ago.  However, even though I have crossed over to Triathlon, I am and will always be a runner.  So getting back to today's run:  I set out about 2:45 at Veteran's Park here in Birmingham.  It felt great to begin with but about a mile and half into it I hit a head wind that would stop a horse.  The wind was blowing in over the lake and it was crazy strong.  I could barely catch my breath, especially since I was running up hill.  I was able to overcome my breathing struggles and continue.  Because I have not been able to run consistently, I usually don't expect much from my runs.  If I can just maintain my fitness level, I am happy.  I was surprised today however, when I checked my watch for the total time.  I had improved my time on the trails by over 2 minutes for a 5 mile run.  I don't know if it was the good weather, strong wind, or the new Nike+ Sportsband I was sporting, but whatever the cause I was one happy guy.  It just reaffirmed my love for running and how it makes me feel.  No matter how long it has been since I last ran, I can always get back out and feel great about pounding the pavement.  Happy running! Or should I say Zumba, biking, swimming, weight lifting, etc.  Whatever you like to do, just get out and do it!  I promise you will feel better right away and every day after.

No comments:

Post a Comment